was organized by EUSDR Priority Area 4 Coordination team, Water Research Institute and Ministry of Environment of the Slovak Republic on 12 October 2022 in Bratislava/online.
The meeting was attended by 27 participants in total (out of it only 3 online), covered by representatives of EC, ICPDR, PA6/DSTF/WWF, WePass and WePass2 projects, EUSDR PA5 and PA7, Szechenyi Istvan University, Ministry of Environment SR, WRI, State Nature Protection, Water Construction, Slovak Water Management Enterprise, Slovak Fishing Association, ZSI Vienna and EUSDR PA4.
Share relevant information on migratory fish restoration, e.g. methodologies and investigation results on behavior of fish species; overview of ichtyocenoses in Middle and Upper Danube; technical solutions of fish pass designs, and experience and knowledge transfer from the Iron Gates to Gabčíkovo Water Structure.
The participants got information and discussed in two blocks:
- information on fish migration from EU and ICPDR perspectives;
- historical data on movement and habitats of sterlet and other migratory fish in the Danube River;
- coordination between environmental risks management and hydro-morphological elements of the good water status;
- activities and future vision of Danube Sturgeon Task Force;
- goals and achievements in WePass and WePass2 projects
- protection of fish migration stated in Slovak Water Policy by 2030
- importance of fish conservation and connectivity restoration from biological viewpoint
- technical proposals for fish passes and practical and financial aspects of fish migration measures
- Organize a workshop for SK and HU experts on the new guidelines for fish passes construction – updated technical solutions (contribution offered by Mr. Marq Redeker)
- Search for synergies with WePass projects in Gabčíkovo fish pass construction and look for the most proper place for fish pass to be attractive for fish, i.e. effective for passing
- Uphold PA4 fish migration activities (planned WS/meeting in 2024, 2027)
- Support fish migration projects
The meeting was held in open and constructive atmosphere.
Agenda, presentations are in the attachment.